My grandfather, Ed Maryon, painted watercolors professionally, and was both Dean and Chair of Fine Arts at the University of Utah. When I was younger, I was fortunate enough to have some private lessons in his studio, though I regretfully never kept up with it. A couple of decades later, I’ve felt a pull to do so again, and have been trying to find the brushes that he used to use.

I think they were from either the UK or Germany, had a hard plastic or clear resin handle, and were tapered to an edge at the non-brush end (which could be used to scrape into the canvas). I don’t know if they’re made any longer, or if they were even widely available — he gave me one along with the lessons. It’s since disappeared after 8 years in the service and having moved at least a dozen times. Not sure if the brush description is helpful or not, but I thought I’d ask, since my grandfather passed away 16 years ago.

Any comments or help would be most greatly appreciated.

  • Edited: crafts.stackexchange.com/help/closed-questions Arts&Crafts it falls under at least two of the closed questions. There wasn't so much an issue with the identifying, as more of having to do with not enough information(too broad) It would help immensely to at least one photograph to help identify what exactly they are looking for in the brush.
    – Lyssagal
    Mar 14 at 22:48
  • @Lyssagal While this may not be a good question in itself, meta seems to indicate that art product identification questions, in general, are on topic: crafts.meta.stackexchange.com/questions/212/…
    – Buzz
    Mar 15 at 1:20
  • 2
    @Buzz The linked article also mentions that an image is necessary.
    – Joachim
    Mar 15 at 5:51
  • @Joachim Hence my "not be a good question in itself," but the closure comment suggests that "art product identification" is off topic.
    – Buzz
    Mar 15 at 17:57