I want to use my photos to paint from. I would like to know how to find a grid for my screen to square off my photo. This would aid in transferring it to a canvas or paper.
I've tried to find a photo editor app, etc. but none offer grid overlays I guess you'd call them. I'm an artist, not so smart about computers and what's available.


We don't really allow for product recommendations, but you can make your own grid overlays:

  • Buy a sheet of flexible plastic, and use a permanent marker and ruler to create a grid with your preferred scale, and simply put it up against your monitor.
    Usually it can rest against the borders of the screen, but a little tape will definitely hold it in place.

  • In an image editor like Photoshop or the free open-source Gimp you can:

    • add guidelines;
    • (add a transparent layer and) add lines on top of the reference image (and save that layer to use it whenever you need it);
    • make use of the feature to show grids (the size can be adjusted);
    • find premade grids on transparent background images online.
  • I'm not at my pc now, but I think the gimp can show a grid as an option.
    – Chris H
    Feb 28 at 12:49
  • @ChrisH Added, thank you!
    – Joachim
    Feb 28 at 13:23
  • No problem - and I can confirm it's under View|Show Grid, configured with Image|Configure Grid. You can set the defaults in preferences.
    – Chris H
    Feb 28 at 18:06
  • 1
    Thank you so much. Maybe the most obvious is the best solution. I will check out Gimp again and them make my own I think....👍
    – In2White
    Feb 28 at 22:12
  • I think a faster way to add lines, cut, and + might be using google drawings, I sometimes use it and it perfectly works
    – Isaac750
    Mar 1 at 15:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.