I'm looking into buying an airbrush for miniature painting. For this I need a compressor. I understand that this is an opinionated question, but can I use this airbrush and compressor inside without disturbing the rest of the family to much regarding the noise the compressor will make? I'm aiming for a mid level type, and I'm willing to pay some extra for quietness.
Your question is almost impossible to answer, since we don't know how much noise will disturb your family (small baby sleeping? kids running around? partner concentrating on a difficult math problem?). But normally the sound level is shown on compressors and here is some references to help you imagine how much it means:
- 0dB Weakest sound heard
- 30dB Whisper Quiet Library at 6'
- 60-65dB Normal conversation at 3'
- 80dB Telephone dial tone
- 85dB City Traffic (inside car)
- 90dB Train whistle at 500', Truck Traffic
- 95dB Jackhammer at 50'
- 95dB Subway train at 200'
- 90 - 95dB Level at which sustained exposure may result in hearing loss
- 98dB Hand Drill
You might also be interested in this article on quiet compressor: Quiet Air Compressor – Some Facts You May Want To Know