Is there a name for the mixture you get upon mixing sand and clay together? As from what I believe, you use something like it in sand casting.

1 Answer 1


The clay-sand mixture used in casting is known as green sand, foundry sand, or molding sand.

Green sand is an aggregate of sand, bentonite clay, pulverized coal and water. Its principal use is in making molds for metal casting.
via Wikipedia

Different proportions of sand, clay, and other compounds result in slightly different properties, but green sand can be packed tightly to hold its shape and therefore not move when molten metal is poured into a mold.

A walkthrough of the sand casting process can be found at Foundry 101: Step-by-Step Sand Casting Instructions.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .