Does anyone know if this type of collage or embroidery mixing different objects like pearls, sequins, beads and bugle beads has a specific name?

enter image description here

I found other examples on Google searching pearls, sequins and beads embroidery but I wonder if there is a common denomination for this type of embroidery using multiple elements.


Consider beading, being the decoration of fabric with beads.

Or, more specifically to embroidery, bead embroidery.


At first I was going to say this isn't really a collage, since it's sewn rather than glued, but I learned that this does qualify as a three-dimensional collage.

A 3D collage is the art of putting altogether three-dimensional objects such as ... beads ... to form a new whole or a new object. Examples can include ... bead circles
-- Wikipedia

This is still a very broad category, and not specific to an embroidery-based collage. However, most beadwork is done with same-size beads, and your example includes different sizes and shapes (and some sequins thrown in).

  • I'm not completely satisfied with this as a definitive answer, but in case nothing more specific exists yet, I thought I'd throw it out there :)
    – Erica
    Aug 10 '19 at 15:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.