I was wondering if there exists a term that describes the practice of using objects to depict other objects.

To give an example:

In the painting "The Librarian", Arcimboldo uses books to depict a person. So the artist uses objects (books) to depict something entirely different (a person).


enter image description here

  • 2
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it is about art historical terminology. Terminology questions are fine if they can clarify a creative process, but this seems to have nothing to do with creating things.
    – Joachim
    Aug 9 '19 at 18:48
  • 3
    @Joachim I guess I don't see the difference between this terminology question and our other technique or style identification terminology questions. The example might be a historical piece, but it's not merely a history or appreciation trivia. If you want to learn about a technique, it's generally fundamental to learn what it's called, first.
    – user24
    Aug 13 '19 at 14:22
  • @WebHead You're right. I think that my decision was informed by both Arcimboldo's painting and the lack of any indication of artistic usage or usefulness. Vote retracted. (Also, it's Dwight).
    – Joachim
    Aug 13 '19 at 15:10


Pareidolia is the tendency to interpret a vague stimulus as something known to the observer, such as seeing shapes in clouds, seeing faces in inanimate objects or abstract patterns, or hearing hidden messages in music.

source: Wikipedia

There are many examples on the internet beyond Arcimboldo, just look for Pareidolia in art.

enter image description here

Women Forming A Skull By Salvador Dali

  • I don't think this is Pareidolia as there is nothing vague about what Arcimboldo is doing. It is not interpretive or hidden. He is purposely constructing, in a sculptural manner (he was a Mannerist after all), the figures in the paintings using inanimate objects. His work is considered unique, and the closest thing I found to a name for them is "double-meaning" paintings.
    – rebusB
    Aug 20 '19 at 20:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.