I'm recently learning font design and typography.
I found that even a same font style can have two font versions: joined and unjoined. I'd tried to google it, but got no explanation.

What's the different between those fonts? How do I use them?

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can help me.


A 'joined' font may refer to a type of script typeface, where all characters of a word are connected by single lines. Most so-called 'handwriting' fonts make use of these glyphs. And some fonts, such as your example, may offer an additional isolated glyph version, like this font:

Debbie Hepplewhite font, joined and unjoined

As the name 'script' implies, it is derived from handwriting, and can still generally be seen in writing exercises in primary schools.

Alternatively, those terms might be referring to fonts that offer versions with and without ligatures, the usually curvy lines that connect certain sets of characters:

Example of several ligatures. Picture via Wikipedia, Public Domain

In writing and typography, a ligature occurs where two or more graphemes or letters are joined as a single glyph.

Like script typeface, ligatures derive from handwriting.
A famous common example is the ampersand &.


Whenever you come across a font with different character sets, they are offered as separate fonts (under the same family name, sometimes archived together in .rar, .zip, or .7z files, which have to be unpacked first).
You install the fonts, and they will show up in your editing programs as separate fonts (e.g., using the example above, the fonts will show up like "Debbie Hepplewhite Print" and "Debbie Hepplewhite Joinit").

If you have any other questions, let me know, and I will update my answer.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.