How can we transform the glass in the desired shape or size. If we want to cut a glass which instrument should we use on domestic level.

  • I don't have an answer to your question, but I often use mirrored vinyl film for odd shaped mirrors. This doesn't really produce a real mirror surface (it is more like chrome) but it has solved a lot of problems for me and is very easy to cut to shape either with scissors or a vinyl cutter like silhouette. Commented Dec 2, 2018 at 16:43

1 Answer 1


It depends on what sort of shape you're thinking of.

A convex polygon can be done with the scribe and snap method used for rectangles. This uses a wheel glass cutter or diamond scriber You should be all right up to an octagon at least, before the angles between the sides are too small.

Circles and large holes require a special tool

Small holes can be drilled and notches etc. can be cut using abrasive (diamond/silicon carbide/aluminium oxide) tools, usually wet, and usually slowly. These can be motorised (e.g. a Dremel or a drill) but hand tools are also available. I've used a precision diamond saw to cut internal corners; this could probably be done using a cutoff wheel on a rotary tool. Abrasives are also useful for rounding off corners and removing sharp edges (normal wet/dry SiC paper, a tile file, or a knife-sharpening stone)

Grozing pliers combined with scoring are used for tricky shapes, but I'm told there's an art to using them.

Note: links are to examples so you know what I'm talking about. I'm not recommending specific products or suppliers. In fact a local hardware shop should have the wheel glass cutter and abrasive drill bits/Dremel accessories.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .