What is the name of the type of spring used for trinkets that are retractable? Like a measuring tape or those key rings that will retract.


A quick search for "tape measure spring" resulted in a list of various products, but also included the term "recoil spring." Changing the search term to "recoil spring" really threw a wrench in the works, however, as some of the returns presented items related to gun-type weapons.

More appropriate to the question is that recoil spring also appears when dealing with pull-start engine mechanisms. As with a tape measure, extending the spring loaded portion (starter rope, tape measure, etc.) causes the recoil spring to tighten up, providing the retraction force in the expected and desired manner.

  • It seems that the actual name is “recoil spring” but search results aren’t precise. But then I searched “rewind spring” and it seems to return only those types but still calls them recoil. Nov 21 '18 at 1:14
  • @Timinycricket - Actually it is called is a flat spring
    – rebusB
    Aug 22 '19 at 14:52
  • 1
    @rebusB you are correct! Where were you a year ago? Lol. Aug 23 '19 at 1:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.