I buy pre-made canvases, and they always come with a little packet of wooden things:

Canvas wooden things

What are they for? How should I use them?


These are called "canvas keys".

The are shimmed into the corners of the canvas to maintain the tautness of the canvas. This generally happens only on machine-assembled frames, or on mass-produced frames that have low-quality inspection standards (for cost).

  • 4
    How exactly do you do that? Which way round do they go into the slots? How hard should you push them in?
    – Tom Medley
    Apr 27 '16 at 7:22
  • 1
    @TomMedley if you follow the link, you will find how to use them. You push them as hard as it is suitable for you.
    – niutech
    May 8 '16 at 17:46
  • 4
    @TomMedley I'd actually recommend making that a new question. "How to use canvas keys." It'd get my upvote, and generate some specific answers.
    – user24
    May 19 '16 at 4:01
  • 1
    They are also used on good quality canvas as even the best canvas can stretch over time.
    – Artemesia
    Jul 24 '16 at 7:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.