I have a mosaic made of keyboard keys that I made by gluing the keys to a piece of cardboard. After some time, the cardboard has begun to warp under the weight of the affixed keys.

I now have a similarly shaped piece of plywood that I plan on affixing the keys to so it won't buckle under the weight and will stay flat when I mount it.

My question: What type of glue/adhesive should I use to affix the keys to the plywood?

I originally used tacky glue to affix them to the cardboard and that seemed to work pretty well. Would tacky glue also work in this case? Or should I use something like wood glue?


I always recommend two-component epoxy for this kind of bond (PE plastic with laminated wood), however if you have a lot of keys it can get pretty expensive (and messy).

A cheap approach would be to use plumbing silicon (the kind in the tubes). Put a drop in the back of the key and press it firmly onto the board. It should hold for a long time!

  • 1
    epoxy seems to be a good choice for mixed materials such as those described. The silicone adhesive isn't so much for plumbing as it is for caulking things but it will work for a limited time. Silicone will peel free from the keys over time, but if it's not handled or manipulated, it probably will be okay.
    – fred_dot_u
    Jul 9 '18 at 16:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.