I'm making a wooden locket, and I've got everything together, two halves hinges and everything, but I can't for the life of me find anything about what sort of clasp I should use to close the halves.

Anything I search about jewelry clasps, regardless of whether I include the word "locket", only ever returns info about bracelet and necklace clasps. I'm assuming the word "clasp" is probably incorrect in this context, but I don't know the right term to use; searching with "closure" instead seems to yeild similar results.

Any hints? One thing I should mention is that plain magnets embedded in the halves are a no go for my locket; I'm really looking for a clip or clasp to attach to the side opposite the hinge.


I did a Google search which led me to a Pinterest page called "Jewelry : cold connections : clasps, bails, lockets, hinges, rivets." Looking at the pictures led me to some potential search terms and other ideas.

I was looking for a hook and eye type clasp, but there were no pictures of the exact concept I was thinking of--but it would be a riff on this type of clasp: enter image description here

I found this image labeled "latch backing."

enter image description here

But I would guess that you will have the most luck searching for a "figure eight safety clasp," or "safety clasp."

enter image description here

Although this is an illustration of a faulty clasp, it does a pretty good job of showing how this type of clasp should work:

enter image description here

My recommendation is to see if you can find a bead store that offers jewelry classes somewhere near you. If you take some of these pictures in to show them, they can either help you identify a clasp that will work, or they might be able to point you to someone who does metal work that can make something for you.

  • A "figure 8 safety clasp" is exactly what I was looking for, thank you! Now if I can just find one that isn't made of silver or gold... definitely don't need anything that fancy or expensive. Aug 21 '17 at 20:13

I know what you mean about terminology being the key. My quick pop of research shows me that you might want to use "friction clasp" as the search terms, especially as a number of sites which return from this have direct reference to locket construction.

The publisher of this page attempted a friction clasp closure for the locket and was not happy/successful in the result and created an alternative, which may also suit your purposes.

Rejected friction clasp image

The selected solution is shown below:

selected friction clasp image

One can see the pin was removed from the first attempt and the hole was not filled in. I believe one can still refer to the solution as a friction clasp, from a mechanical standpoint.

Another site goes into great detail regarding making a locket including the creation of a friction clasp, which appears some distance down the page. It appears that the process results in the rejected design of the first page I've listed, yet I suppose it's personal taste and ability split down the middle:

creation image

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.