I'm thinking of methods, similar to how some products use a lid to snap onto an object so that it remains clipped to that particular object and snaps into place. However, I want no 3rd party material applications used. Just mechanisms used to combine two objects temporarily into place to become as one structure.

I'm sorry if this doesn't exactly paint the perfect picture in your head and also if didn't use proper terminology to properly describe what I am looking for.. However, any help, lead or point towards a direction to find this would be helpful, even it isn't the whole answer.

Again thank you for your time.

  • What are the objects you want to hold together? I think the answer will be specific to that. For instance, if they have edges that stick out, you might be able to use a small clamp, but that might not work on other objects. Could you provide a picture of the sort of lids you mean?
    – user812786
    Jul 6 '17 at 17:59
  • This sounds like you are looking for help with an invention - but without sayng what you are trying to do, for what purpose, and with what materials, it's pretty hard to answer. Maybe a patent search whould tell you what's out there now.
    – user1798
    Jul 6 '17 at 18:34
  • Welcome to A&C! As whrrgarbl and abbie noted, we really need you to be more specific. Right now, you're asking for a potentially endless list of ideas. Anything you can add to this would be helpful to us. Until then, I'm putting this question on hold. Feel free to edit your additional information in and flag it for moderator attention. Thanks!
    – Catija
    Jul 6 '17 at 20:17
  • Check this out (Similar to a puzzle piece) for 2D goo.gl/photos/8sZ1PDJTUWZkEgaK6 Jul 7 '17 at 18:45
  • For 3D check this out goo.gl/photos/U1LYrByvMP6ffHeT6 Jul 7 '17 at 18:52

A general term you may find helpful here is fastening.

A search on fastening method turns up some interesting resources that discuss various fastening methods used in industry. I'd start there with the abstract discussions. Those are likely places to find other general category terms you can use to refine your search.

I found this one interesting for a start: Fastening & Assembly.

It would indicate what you're looking for may belong to the category "integral fasteners".

  • Thank you, this terminology is helpful in narrowing down what I want to achieve. If there are any other words , I am open to hearing you for more info.
    – Totti
    Jul 27 '17 at 15:26
  • Also, figured out that a Latch for hardware is another technique
    – Totti
    Jul 27 '17 at 15:37

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.