I have found the following patterns online and am wondering what exactly they are called?

enter image description here

enter image description here

2 Answers 2


The mathematical term for this kind of pattern would be pmm wallpaper pattern. There are seventeen types of repeating planar patterns, and this is one of the simplest ones.

The characteristics of the pattern are based on it having perpendicular symmetry axes through the centers of each of the tessellation units. There are also 180 degree rotation symmetries about these centers, with no additional glide reflection symmetries.

  • I removed the 0 as I did not understand why it was there. If that is required feel free to roll back the edit.
    – Matt
    Commented Jun 26, 2017 at 13:39

I believe it would be called a tessellated pattern where a single shape is repeated without overlap.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .