Retro dress

Hello I am trying to find a sewing pattern that has the same type of style for the chest area of this dress or just the name of the style so that I have something to go on. I'm not too worried about the skirt just the chest. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

  • Are you looking for the bunched cross section or the separate bust panel? What about the chest area, specifically?
    – Catija
    May 30, 2017 at 15:32
  • I suggest searching by image, where you upload this specific pic and looking for similar images to see what they are called... I'm sure you will find what you need. Good Luck.
    – winnend
    Aug 25, 2017 at 10:44

1 Answer 1


A company that makes them, Lindy Bop, calls them their "Ophelia" style dress and they have a similar one that's called "Sloane". It's a vintage style from the 50s - "Rockabilly swing".

The description of the bodice they use in various places include:

  • Sweetheart neckline with ruched satin inset
  • a sweetheart neckline with turquoise ruched bust panel.
  • sweetheart neckline with contrasting crossover ruched bust panel

Google search returns a fair number of similar dresses when you search for "Rockabilly dress"... including the image that you posted, which is on a site here where they describe it as "ACEVOG Women’s 1950s V Neck Vintage Cut Out Retro Party Cocktail Swing Dresses"

Other than that, I'm not sure there's a specific name for the style.

  • 1
    Looks like "sweetheart neckline" and "ruched [panel]" may be the keywords to look for. Nice find!
    – Erica
    May 31, 2017 at 12:56

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .