What is the name of the art form where a translucent material (could be cylindrical) is carved on the inside and lit from within so the image is rendered in brightness determined by how thick the remaining material is?

  • 3
    Do you have an image of an example?
    – Catija
    Dec 7 '16 at 11:41
  • You can read on some guidelines and suggestions for these types of questions here on Meta
    – Matt
    Dec 7 '16 at 14:36
  • Like this? img-cdn.jg.jugem.jp/706/2363597/20120521_531643.jpg
    – user24
    Dec 7 '16 at 14:59
  • @CreationEdge You think he is describing glass carving?
    – Matt
    Dec 7 '16 at 15:07
  • 1
    Sounds sort of like those fancy Halloween pumpkin carvings that don't carve all the way through the pumpkin flesh.
    – Catija
    Dec 7 '16 at 21:22

With thanks to Chris Meyer from Sector67:

It's lithophane.

Sorry I wasn't clever enough to check with the source in the first place, but thanks for asking the question that triggered that!

  • I'm glad you found this -- I have a lithophane sitting on my shelf at home, but couldn't remember what it's called, and googling was getting me nowhere. Well done.
    – Erica
    Dec 8 '16 at 12:22
  • 2
    Thanks. I was also pretty surprised that googling such a narrow, specific topic with the best words I could throw at it didn't turn up an answer. Glad to throw a little light on (behind?) this one.
    – jimw
    Dec 8 '16 at 13:41
  • 1
    FYI, you can mark your own answer as the correct one by clicking the checkmark :)
    – user812786
    Dec 8 '16 at 16:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.