What is the name of the art form where a translucent material (could be cylindrical) is carved on the inside and lit from within so the image is rendered in brightness determined by how thick the remaining material is?

  • 3
    Do you have an image of an example?
    – Catija
    Dec 7, 2016 at 11:41
  • You can read on some guidelines and suggestions for these types of questions here on Meta
    – Matt
    Dec 7, 2016 at 14:36
  • Like this? img-cdn.jg.jugem.jp/706/2363597/20120521_531643.jpg
    – user24
    Dec 7, 2016 at 14:59
  • @CreationEdge You think he is describing glass carving?
    – Matt
    Dec 7, 2016 at 15:07
  • 1
    Sounds sort of like those fancy Halloween pumpkin carvings that don't carve all the way through the pumpkin flesh.
    – Catija
    Dec 7, 2016 at 21:22

1 Answer 1


With thanks to Chris Meyer from Sector67:

It's lithophane.

Sorry I wasn't clever enough to check with the source in the first place, but thanks for asking the question that triggered that!

  • I'm glad you found this -- I have a lithophane sitting on my shelf at home, but couldn't remember what it's called, and googling was getting me nowhere. Well done.
    – Erica
    Dec 8, 2016 at 12:22
  • 2
    Thanks. I was also pretty surprised that googling such a narrow, specific topic with the best words I could throw at it didn't turn up an answer. Glad to throw a little light on (behind?) this one.
    – jimw
    Dec 8, 2016 at 13:41
  • 1
    FYI, you can mark your own answer as the correct one by clicking the checkmark :)
    – user812786
    Dec 8, 2016 at 16:39

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .