Wireframe plant drawing

Image of pitcher plant from drawbox.com

I wish to learn how to visualize and draw wireframes like that for any object.
I searched Google with term "drawing wireframes" but didn't get what I was looking for.

What term should I search in Google to learn how to visualize and draw the kind of wireframe shown in that link?

3 Answers 3


The drawing in your link is a sketch with contour lines (the circles that define the 3D quality of the drawing.)

This style is often used in Product Design - so I suggest searching for "Product Design sketching" or "Industrial Design sketching"; There is a wealth of information in that field on this way of drawing. Good luck!


Those are your construction lines.

Be advised that this term is also used for 3D modeling, and you may need to filter CAD out of any web searches.

They can also be called guidelines.

When drawing figures, they're often called mannequins.

These terms can be a bit generic. What will help find tutorials or guides is a combination of construction drawing + your art type, such as figure or still life.

You may find success looking at contour lines, as another answer suggests, but contour lines typically have a different connotation in drawing. Contours describe the visible surface and outlines. They don't describe the wireframe/unseen surfaces as seen in the tutorial you mentioned. Just be wary in looking for contour drawings, as that will lead you to a different type of exercise/drawing technique.


A book that gives great instructions for planning out guidelines and mannequins for drawings is Preston Blair's book "Cartoon Animation". Here's a pdf of the whole book.

His book is centered more around drawing in a traditional Disney 2D cartoonish style, but his ideas apply to all styles of figure drawing, really. Here are some images to give you a sense of the frames instructed in that book.

enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here

Hope that helps.

  • 4
    This isn't really an answer to the question posted. They're asking for the proper terminology to use
    – user24
    Nov 25, 2016 at 23:58

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .