I have been working with pen and ink, doing pieces of this style for more than a decade. Many times, I have been asked for a name to describe what I do, and I'm continually left with stating that it is simply "my style."

Is there a specific style of art that would aptly describe this type of highly-detailed pen-and-ink work that uses small drawings to work together to create the whole of the piece?

Abstract Flag Art by Jeffrey Blake

  • 1
    Which aspect in particular are you asking about? The coloring, the small, detailed designs? The way the ink is actually laid down? Please edit your question with more info so we can get you some answers!
    – user24
    Jun 24, 2016 at 17:14
  • 3
    PS, I'd personally put a more faded but diagonal watermark across the piece for your copyright. The bottom banner is easy to crop out.
    – user24
    Jun 24, 2016 at 17:16
  • "Very elaborated doodle"? (Jk - I like your work!)
    – Stephie
    Jun 24, 2016 at 18:19
  • Don't know of an existing term, but I'd probably coin something like "sketch fill".
    – inkista
    Jun 24, 2016 at 19:39

2 Answers 2


When I first looked at your image my reaction was "mosaic" was the root of the style, and so I did a little digging and came across the concept of "doodle mosaic" that really seems to fit.
The other reason that worked for me is that there is a Zen Doodle feel as well, the sense that the sum of the parts are creating a bigger result.

  • 4
    That's a good find. I'm interested in seeing more of this type of work, now.
    – user24
    Jun 27, 2016 at 0:00
  • Good find indeed. The Japanese artist in that video almost puts me to shame with his use of actual full blown cartoons (if I didn't have the hidden stuff like the names of every US president in the blue and patriotic texts in each red stripe, I'd feel more this way). Given everything, I'll take this as the best option. Jun 28, 2016 at 17:17
  • Zen Doodle is a really close second as well. So double credit to you! :) Jun 28, 2016 at 17:21

Your style also has a scratch art quality, where you take a light colored ground, cover it evenly with india ink, then scratch away your design.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .