I've heard somewhere that an orange, gray and white "style" has a specific name. I believe that it has "minimalism" in it, but I cannot recall.

Here is an example of the color scheme, but in my case it's more about user interfaces design in software, corporate logo style, corporate branding and so on.

Is there an actual name for this style?

  • If I had to describe it, I'd say 'Achromatic colours with a contrast colour'. Probably not what you're looking for, but maybe it helps to find what you're looking for.
    – Ji Ugug
    Jun 22, 2016 at 18:17
  • 1
    Your question, seeing as it relates specifically to digital art, may be better asked on Graphic Design. I have posted a general answer as it relates to color theory and I focus on items that could be handmade like pottery and paintings... but there may be an industry term that we are unfamiliar with.
    – Catija
    Jun 22, 2016 at 20:19
  • 1
    In interior design, the orange would be called the "accent color"
    – user24
    Jun 23, 2016 at 2:11

1 Answer 1


Based on the images you've shown, where the main colors are the shades of grey, I'd call it grayscale with a single accent color, in this specific case, the accent color is orange.

You could also call it black and white with a single accent color but that might lead people to believe that only black and white were used rather than shades of gray.

Something similar can be seen in these ceramic items:

White and grey teapot with orange accentsBlack and white pot with orange

If you were talking more about something like this tea kettle:

Orange kettle with grey accents

It would be the opposite - orange with grayscale accents.

If you're using multiple shades of the same orange (same color, different amounts of white/black), it would be "monochromatic", like the image below, which is an underpainting of a finished painting:

Monochromatic image


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .