I once saw on TV a type of craft work that used the shapes and colours of leaves arranged carefully in between folded white canvas cloth and beaten with a small hammer. The result was a beautiful copy of the leaf, showing the intricate detail of the veins. Not to mention the colours.

I recall on the TV programme that it was some type of Japanese art/craft but I cannot remember the name. Does anyone know of this type of hand craft?

Would like to find out more about it.


This is a hammered leaf print, or sometimes called a transfer. Flowers are also used. The Japanese name for this art is called hapa zome. It's categorized as a type of dyeing process, and hapa zome roughly translates to "leaf dye" (according to the Internet. I don't know any Japanese).

The technique is similar to the classic nature printing, which uses a roller to press the leaf into the plate receiving the transfer. For hammering, you are applying the pressure much more manually, and aren't creating an engraving that's used make additional copies.

You can find a cheap way to do this on Instructables. Here is a picture of such are done on watercolor paper:

Hammered leaf art

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.