I’ve been knitting, crocheting, sewing, weaving, and most other things textile related for decades and have never come across this tool. I inherited a box of yarn and other crafting items that included this in a sealed bag with three small balls of yarn and a yarn needle. I have never seen one of these before. Can anyone tell me what it is?enter image description here

  • How sure are you that it's a yarn tool? Is it only because you found it among yarn and a yarn needle? I'm simply wondering if that could exclude the right answer. It might be better to leave that limitation out of the title.
    – Joachim
    Commented Mar 2, 2022 at 12:43
  • Can you maybe show the side of the tool? Does it have a small gap towards the front? I have seen similar tools which could be used to hold a blade to undo seams. Commented Mar 15, 2022 at 12:38
  • I wonder if this would help turn a collar, to get a sharp point? Commented May 31, 2022 at 8:41
  • I would guess that it's a yarn pick (maybe?) used to pick up stitches if dropped but not unraveled and used for loom knitting. Commented May 17, 2023 at 18:35

1 Answer 1


That looks like a bone folder (aka paper creaser) to me. A plastic version though, not actual bone. I've got one that's similar in bright orange, although mine doesn't have the notch near the tip.

It definitely comes under 'other crafting items" rather than yarn related though. It should be blunt, because they're used for making creases in paper without puncturing it, so that the paper can be folded more easily. Think book binding, card making etc.

Honestly, I'm not surprised it showed up in a bunch of unrelated crafting stuff; they're slippery critters, prone to wandering off and reappearing somewhere else entirely.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .