Not sure if it's the brushes or the brand of acrylic paints (DecoArt or Martha Stewart Satin Finish) I use, but I'd like to achieve a smooth finish when I paint my ceramic pots.

  • Hi Syan, is spraypainting not an option?
    – Joachim
    Jun 18 '21 at 7:51
  • 1
    I suspect it isn't so much a matter of brand as consistency. Very thick paint can act a little like texture medium. It needs to be thin enough to self-level. Try thinning the paint. Also try applying several thin layers using thinned paint rather than one heavy layer using thick paint.
    – fixer1234
    Jun 19 '21 at 19:04
  • Hi @Joachim, I wanted to paint some custom art/shapes on the pot. Afraid I won't be able to do such delicate painting by using spray paint.
    – Syan
    Jun 21 '21 at 2:37
  • @fixer1234: Ahh okay, this might work.. I will try this.
    – Syan
    Jun 21 '21 at 2:39
  • Syan, can you let us know whether or not it worked? You can answer your question yourself if it did, and, if not, edit your question to get more advice.
    – Joachim
    Jun 24 '21 at 7:31

A few options:

  • Watering down the paint (as mentioned in the comments) Acrylic paint can be thinned by adding water until brush strokes self-level. If you want to be uptight, use distilled water. Chlorine and minerals in tap water may have some effect on the paint, but it's doubtful that it'd be significant.
  • Foam brush Foam brushes are often used to avoid brush strokes. You used the word "delicate" in your question, so this may not be an option.
  • Spray Painting (with stencils). Depending on what your art is, you might be able to create a stencil for it and then spray paint. You can buy removable self-adhesive vinyl from a crafting store (electrical tape works in a pinch) and either cut it manually or find someone with a computer driven cutting machine like a Cricut or Silhouette.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.