I don't know much about art history or different drawing traditions, but I often see this style of line art (done in pen and ink I think?) which uses many thin lines for shading. Some examples of what I'm talking about include:

J. J. Grandeville, source John Tenniel, source
A hand, source Some animals, source

I never know how to describe this style of drawing and search for more examples. I'm also not sure if there's a term for this style of art, or if I'm grouping together unrelated art styles, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

  • Hi ink, do note that the characteristic you're looking for is part of the technique, and not an artistic style. I've added the technique-identification tag.
    – Joachim
    Apr 14, 2021 at 13:33

1 Answer 1


The kind of shading with many thin lines is called hatching.

enter image description here
(image source)

It's very common in ink or pen drawings and printing techniques like etching or woodblock printing. A sub-category of prints with especially fine details is the "old master print".

This site demonstrates a number of different hatching techniques and how they influence our perception of the shapes

  • Oh this is very helpful, thank you!
    – ink
    Apr 21, 2021 at 8:15

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .