Imagine an open topped rectangle box: it has a bottom and four walls. An interior box fits or nests inside that, and, when seated, is flush with the top.
I want to find a latch/device so that I can push down on the top to disengage it and allow the nested box to rise up and reveal a compartment. Pushing it back down will of course relatch it.

  • 1
    Hi Patrick, what have you tried so far? We can help with specific problems that you have a hard time figuring out on your own, but this is very broad, and basically asking for a complete tutorial. Can you narrow your question down?
    – Joachim
    Apr 6 '21 at 7:45

The first response that popped into my alleged mind was a push-to-open latch. The link points to a Home Depot product, but there are many sources. Consider the concept of the lowly retractable ball-point pen. One push extends, the next, retracts.

push to open latch image courtesy of linked site

The image shows a magnetic attractor to mate with a metal plate on the moving part. If your project has sufficient depth, a single latch could be placed in the center of the inner box or be integrated into the moving portion.

There are other designs of push-to-open latches and some may have a lower profile.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.